Church and Community
Hoddlesden St Paul's Church
Hoddlesden St Paul Church
We are a growing church, where everyone is given a warm welcome, especially children. Our average attendance is 30 families and the usual service pattern is as follows: -
1st Sunday All-Age Worship
2nd Sunday Holy Communion with Sunday Club for children
3rd Sunday All-Age Worship
4th Sunday Holy Communion with Sunday Club for children
5th Sunday Varies, but usually All Age Worship
We also have a crèche during the Holy Communion time for parents who choose to use it.
The Parochial Church Council have discussed a challenging 5-year vision:
In the year 2022, we want to have:
- a vibrant, growing congregation
- a new church building
- a reputation for serving God and the people of the parish
Weekly Zoom Worship
Complete if you require weekly access to our online worship
The Three churches of St James’ Lower Darwen, St James’ Over Darwen and St Paul’s Hoddlesden
More than just Sunday Morning… #threechurches
So what are the three churches? An exciting recent development has been the joining together of St James’ Over Darwen, St Paul’s Hoddlesden and St James’ Lower Darwen. These three churches are paving the way for God’s Kingdom – right here right now – by making Jesus real to the people of the area and reaching people of all ages in the hope that they will discover his love for themselves. Take a look at the photos below to see what we’re doing.
- At St Paul’s Hoddlesden we have a well attended morning service every Sunday in St Paul’s Primary School hall at 10.00am though there are plans for a brand new church building in the not too distant future. Additionally there is a coffee morning every Saturday at 10.00 am in the Carus Centre in Hoddlesden. This is more a time of fellowship than a formal service and all are welcome. A bible study is also held on Thursdays at 7 pm. Please call 01254 427020 for the venue. More information on the St Paul’s Facebook page
- At St James’ Lower Darwen we are forging close links with school and community groups and have activities ranging from Kool4Kids and Bible Buddies – our Sunday School groups – through to Young at Heart which is our over 60′s friendship group. One of our most popular events is Friday Night Special which is a family meal and fellowship evening where you will be made to feel very welcome. Many people who’ve never been to church before come along and have a great time! Similarly a Sunday family special is being held at St James’ Over Darwen.
- At St James’ Over Darwen we hold a weekly Family Special service every Sunday at 4.00 pm which has activities for the kids and tea and a biscuit, along with a Midweek Communion every Wednesday at 11.30 am. The Communion service is followed by a simple lunch of soup and bread rolls. Additionally on Friday morning a playgroup runs for our youngest members and their parents/childminders from 9.00 am in term time.